Prep time: 50 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
- 2 palm size pieces – Ponmo (Cow skin)
- 2 palm size pieces – Shaki (tripe)
- 8-10 pieces – Snails
- 2-3 maggi cubes
- Salt – To taste
- ½ teaspoon each – curry and thyme
- 1 teaspoon powdered pepper (ata-gigun)
- 1 large ripe plantain
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers (1 of each)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon suya spice mix
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
Other – Oil for frying plantain
Prep the ingredients
- In a large pot, combine ponmo, shaki and snails. Add in maggi cubes, salt, curry, thyme and powdered pepper. Add in enough water to cover the meat. Stir to combine. Boil on medium-high heat until meat is tender (35-45 minutes).
- Remove cooked meat from broth and set aside to cool.
- Save broth
- Peel and cut plantain into strips. Fry until golden and set aside
- Cut off the ends of the peppers and onions and set aside. Cut the peppers and onions into thin strips and set aside
- Cut cooled cooked ponmo and shaki into strips. Cut the snails into bite size pieces
- In a blender, combine pepper/onion trimmings, meat broth, half the oil and suya spice. Blend until smooth. Set aside
- Place a large wok or frying pan on high heat. Add in left over oil and heat until almost smoking.
- Add in ponmo, shaki and snails. Stir fry until meat begins to brown.
- Add in chopped peppers and onions. Continue to stir fry for another 2 minutes
- Add in fried plantains and blended suya sauce. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Simmer for 2 minutes
- Stir-fry is ready to serve. Enjoy as a meal or with a side of steamed rice