Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe will change the way you do chicken. I guarantee it!
- 25-30 Split chicken wings (or 15 chicken pieces)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1-2 large onion bulbs (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Nigerian stew base
- 3 heaped tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 Knorr cubes (3 if using soft chicken)
- Salt – To taste
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 tablespoons honey
- If using hard wings (chicken) – combine chicken, 2 knorr cubes, salt, pepper and handful of sliced onion in a large pot. Add enough water to just cover the wings. Simmer on medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Drain.
SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU ARE USING SOFT CHICKEN
- Place a large pot on low-medium heat add in oil. stir in the sliced onions. Allow the onions to completely wilt and caramelize (this will take about 10 minutes and it’s completely worth it).
- Add in bay leaf, curry, thyme, tomato paste, stew base, knorr and salt to taste. Stir. Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (stir at interval to prevent burning)
- Add chicken and coat thoroughly. Cover again and simmer for another 25 minutes. Stir in honey into the sauce and remove from heat.
- Preaheat oven to 425F and line a tray with parchment or foil.
- Arrange chicken pieces on the lined tray. Bake for 10 minute. Turn on the broiler (top heat on your oven) and bake for 5 minutes.