Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 40 mins
Don’t be alarmed by the amount of oil I made use of in this recipe. As the self proclaimed queen of the reduced oil movement, I am all for zero added oil. however, to properly fry the stew base, we need the oil. Most of it will be skimmed off later.
- 12 turkey pieces (cut into halves if you prefer) or 20 chicken pieces
- 6 cups Nigerian stew base
- 1 medium onion bulb – peeled and halved
- 1.5 cups vegetable oil (~4 cooking spoons)
- Salt – to taste
- Knorr cubes – 4
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (optional )
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Season your turkey or chicken with salt, white pepper and 2 maggi cubes. Place on a lined oven tray and bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until visibly shrunken.
- Place a large pot on medium heat and heat up the oil. Add in the whole onion and fry for 2-3 minutes. Remove and discard onion
- Pour in Stew base and allow to fry for 5 minutes (just cover the pot and walk away)
- Add in seasonings and 2-3 cups of water (depending on how thick you like your stew). Stir.
- Add in baked turkey / chicken and reduce heat to medium- low. Leave to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hours stirring on occasion (the longer the better!!). Skim off any excess oil
- Serve stew with your choice of side. I highly recommended warm agege bread – ho my days. Enjoy!