For the uninitiated, moimoi is a Nigerian breakfast staple made from pureed beans. It’s perfectly savory and often served as accompaniment to breakfast porridge. Traditional moimoi is wrapped in Banana leaves or Ewe Eran (Thaumatococcus daniellii).
The inspiration for this came from Japanese rolled omelet. I first experimented with the idea in late 2012 but it didn’t quiet work out, I tried to prepare it stove top using the wrong pan type. If you want to achieve this roll stovetop, you need a large nonstick pan like the one I used for the Breakfast Yam Casserole. It should be cooked on low heat in order to distribute the heat evenly.
For this recipe, I took Traditional moimoi and elevated it a bit by deconstructing parts of the ingredients and presenting it a little differently. The only thing “special” about this is the way it’s rolled, the taste is exactly like the moimoi you know and love. I made use of peeled beans because I had some in the freezer. Moimoi can be made from Unpeeled beans as I presented in this recipe we shared last month.
This is the perfect recipe for your next brunch or special valentine breakfast. It should take about 20 minutes with already peeled beans. it’s amazingly simple to make and present beautifully. Double or triple the recipe to make a bigger batch. Recipe as is will serve two.
- 1 cup peeled beans
- 1/4 medium Onion (Halved)
- 1 Red Pepper (Tatashe) (Halved )
- Small Ginger (peeled)
- 1 Sprig green onion (optional)
- 2 eggs ( 1 boiled, 1 raw)
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 cube maggi
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper Flakes
- Salt – To taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a blender : combine beans, onion, 1 part red pepper, 1 part onion, 1/2 cup water and ginger. Puree to a fine paste
- Chop left over pepper and onion. Slice up the egg and mince the green onion if using. Set aside
- Melt butter. Add in maggi, salt, pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add in pureed beans and raw egg. Mix well using a mixing pin or hand mixer (3-5 minutes)
- Line an oven tray with culinary parchment (or aluminum foil) . Pour in the moimoi batter and spread out evenly. Shake pan gently to distribute.Top with chopped ingredients
- Bake moimoi for 15 minutes (until lifted at the edges and set)
- As soon as you remove the moimoi from the oven, start the roll. Starting at one short end , peel off parcment until rolled to the end
Serve Moimoi roll by itself or with pap, custard or garri.
- This recipe also works extremely well forplantain rollup. Substitute 2 medium ripe plantains for beans, keep everything else the same. I will share my version using plantains next week.