Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Traditionally this soup is prepared with fresh fish and served with pupuru. I made use of a combination of meat and fish which is a personal preference.
- Cubed Goat meat (2 cups)
- Shredded panla (2 handfuls)
- Shredded Smoked Fish (2 cups)
- Crayfish powder (3 tablespoons)
- Dried marugbo leaf (3 cups)
- Dried Efirin leaf (1 cup)
- Thumb size fresh ginger
- 1 small white onion
- 1-2 Fresh hot pepper (ata-rodo)
- ¼ cup of palm oil
- Salt to taste
- Maggi (2 cubes)
- Other meat & Fish (to taste)
- Combine goat with 2-3 cups of water in a large pot. Add in panla, 2 maggi cube, salt . Simmer on medium heat until meat is very tender.
- Add more water to cover the cooked beef. Add in crayfish powder, smoked fish and palm oil. Stir
- Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir the broth. Taste and adjust for seasoning
- Blend the dried vegetables with ginger, onion, hot pepper and 3-4 cups of water until smooth
- Add blended vegetables into the cooked broth. Stir. Taste and adjust for seasoning and water
- Simmer uncovered for another 12 – 15.
- Serve with your choice of Pupuru, Garri or pounded yam.